Let them eat cake!

>> Dec 30, 2010

Author: Holly Root
Waxman Literary Agency
@hroot

Prompt: Gift. This month, gifts and gift-giving can seem inescapable. What's the most memorable gift, tangible or emotional, you received this year?



It's probably the most memorable gift I've received, ever frankly.  I married a non-gift giver.  He is a he and as a he, he isn't programed to think creatively of gift giving.  Gift giving is an art, to him it's a list.  I write the list he goes and gets the stuff.  I hate lists, I could just go get the junk myself really.  I want to be surprised, I want someone to know what to get me without me saying.  It doesn't mean it has to be huge, and this gift wasn't.  It really is the thought that counts.  Now before you think my 'he' is completely without regard, he has gotten me some wonderful things in the past to my surprise.  It just doesn't happen a lot.  When my birthday came around I was prepared for the usual routine.  I go get myself something, I get myself a cake, I pick a restaurant I like and we get carry out from there.  As a mom your birthday is, well your responsibility most of the time.  (not complaining just that's the lot in life, not a lot, but it's life right?)   


This year my good friend Angie showed up with a cake for my birthday.  She didn't make just any cake; she knew a cake I spoke of, that's only available around the holidays.  She looked online, found the recipe and made the cake for me.  (Scrap Vegas retreaters, it's the same cake we had at the retreat).  Now that is by far the greatest gift, and yes it cost the amount of the ingredients and her time which are appreciated but it was the thought that far exceeds all other gifts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP