Surround yourself only with people who are going to lift you higher. - Oprah Winfrey

>> Nov 23, 2008

I am at a point in my life where I feel I have done this. It took a long time to get here and that isn't to say my friends in my past weren't positive and inspirational. Rather, that I still continued to have friends that were stuck focusing on the negate. It is so much easier to sit back and complain about life and the things that happen to us. It is easier to speak of our victim status and cry about why this is happening to us.

Then you have a friend who does something.. something that reminds you of what you'd like to be. The idealistic person who puts others needs ahead of their own, the person when faced with adversity.. shoves it off and reaches out to others instead. This is the person I strive to be. And I do get there from time to time.. I don't want this to come across as a self defeatist post, but sometimes, amidst my own dramas, I forget that there are other people dealing with far worse dramas.

Why such a long rambly post? My friend Wendy who I am so thankful is a part of my life in any way that she is.. has motivated me with her generousity. Earlier this week, when I saw one of those trees with all the children's tags asking for a gift for christmas, I walked by it. On monday when I take my son to school I will be pulling a tag in honor of what Wendy has done..

Wendy lives in LA and was told to evacuate her home recently due to the wild fires. Imagine a few weeks before the holiday having to decide what items in your life hold enouch importance to be saved.. and only having a car to fit them in.. what do you leave behind, what do you take? What can be replaced? Imagine making these decisions in a few short hours. Wendy was lucky, she only had to go through the thought process .. unfortunately hundreds of others were not lucky. They returned to lots there homes once stood upon. When it would be easiest to complain of the damage done to one's own home from the smoke, or having to now unpack all the items crammed in a vehicle in attempt to save them.. .Wendy instead showed that bad girls can have some pretty shiney halos.

The life I touch for good or ill will touch another life, and that in turn antoher, until who knows where the trembling stops or in what far place my touch will be felt. - Frederick Buechner.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP