The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

>> Jul 10, 2008

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
and sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveller, long I stood
and looked down one as far as I could
to where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
and having perhaps the better claim
because it was grassy and wanted wear;
though as for that, the passing there
had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
in leaves no feet had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference

 

 

Today’s My Freedom blog prompt was to share a poem that inspired us.. this poem is one of my favorites.  I first read it in high school and loved it immediately.  The thought of being noble perhaps, but as I grew.. if you’ll forgive the sentimental overtone.. my relationship with this poem grew.  I definitely have had my share of forks in the road and choices that needed to be made and I feel I often took the road less traveled, it has been hard at times.. especially to fight off the bitterness when others took what I felt was the ‘easy’ road and I see that their life has worked out fine.  But at the end I will quietly savor knowing that I stayed true to myself and that’s what really matters.

6 comments:

Eleni Gratsia July 10, 2008  

Beautiful poem and well-loved by me too! :D Great to be doing this class! :D

Anonymous,  July 10, 2008  

I love this poem too - great post x

CloClo July 10, 2008  

A great poem, and I loved your justification for choosing it. I'm so enjoying reading these - thanks for sharing x

dddeeebbbzzz July 10, 2008  

What a beautiful poem. I've never come across it before. The choices we make are so important, and although others may take the easy road, we may learn far more and develop in many more ways along our tougher route.

Flapsi July 11, 2008  

I love Frost too and chose Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening. This is a good one too.

absolutartist1 July 26, 2008  

This has always been my complete favorite as well! Hope all's well in Vegas! [hugs]

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP